Wednesday, January 14, 2015

The Wandering Begins

An old photo of my everexpanding RPG collection


Hi, I'm you're friendly wandering Dungeon Master Gino, I'm starting this blog due to being inspired by a couple of fellow Filipino Table Top gamers such as Astigisms! and Philgamer. This blog is mainly to express my own experiences, thoughts, opinions and some of my own DM tips and tricks.

 Who Am I? Brace yourselves because this is going to be long.

I'm a relatively a "young" DM in comparison to other DM's as I only started my table top experience sometime around my 2nd year of college which is approximately around 5 years more or less ago. I was one of those kids that learned of D&D and TTRPG in general due to pop culture references and viewd D&D as a thing of wonder one of those things that no one of my generation(that I knew of) ever played; that also means I missed playing the game from its inception(I wasnt even born yet for 1st edition) and what they call the golden age of RPGs during the 70's to early 90's.

The farthest I can remember on hearing about dungeons and dragons for the first time was with an episode of Dexter's Laboratory and that was way back in 1996/7 and i was like 6 or 7 years old. That was when I first wanted to find out what they were playing; sadly I never found out where to buy or play D&D then which led me to a life of computer games. Being part of the playstation generation I filled my hunger for RPG's with the classic JRPG's like the Final Fantasy Series, Breath of Fire and my Top 1 JRPG ever Suikoden II, I was satisfied playing these games until a friend and his older brother needed to test out Neverwinter Nights on our old windows 98 pc since they'res was broken and BAM! my first " D&D experience".

With Neverwinter I was hooked to the choice based roleplaying it gave me; no longer was i playing within a script I now had full control of my character and had to come to grips with my ingame decisions. NWN1 hooked me into more western RPG's (aside from Diablo) and its expansive choice system and so I searched for more games like it such as, Temple of Elemental Evil, NWN's sequel NWN2, Star Wars KotoR(sadly it was too late for me to experience Baldurs Gate 1 and 2 and Icewind Dale), even to MMORPG's starting with Ragnarok.

Many years later the un-fillable void which i tried to fill with video games became reachable with D&D 4E with Keep on the Shadowfell. At that time I knew I wouldn't find a DM nearby and so I took it upon myself to take the crown. I called forth my buddies and thus began my first foray into Table Top RPG's

In the short span of 5 or so years I deeply immersed myself into reading and experiencing various tabletop RPG's  as if I was making up for the past  years I never got to. Ive read, and ran various games starting with D&D4E, then Pathfinder to D&D3.5 even A Song of Ice and Fire RPG to non Fantasy games like Warhammer 40k Death Watch and Only War to FFG's new Starwars Edge of the Empire and the next thing to run/play on my list is Monte Cook's Numernera.

Thats it for my long winded mini RPG biography.

Aside from that I'm also an Illustrator(check out my galleries at pheartheham.deviantart.com or drawcrowd.com/ginocobarrubias) and avid gamer.

Oh and Honestly I have no idea what to post for my next articles and I'm very open to suggestions :D for now I'll probably do a review of D&D 5E or a Session Log for my Roll20 group.

Quick shout ot to Tagsessions!, Post52Dust formerly known as Makati Underground(not the R18 related thing), and now recently Raymz Games and Variable Play

4 comments:

  1. Well, if you ever want to try other non-D&D games, feel free to let me know. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure! But Im normally landlocked in makati or BGC areas :P I do wanna play as an actual player too but you know life work and other stuff detrimental to gaming :))

      Delete
  2. Write your funky/ weird/ fun/ stupid experiences in D&D! Either yours or your players para astig!

    ReplyDelete