Sunday, January 18, 2015

Mapping the Redbrand Hideout Area 1 and 2 part 2


Hi guys welcome back to Mapping the Hide out segment.

This time lets talk about painting the tiles.

I mentioned that I didn't know whether or not spray paints would be harmful styrofoam; apparently they are thanks to a warning by Raymz and reccomended I use styrofoam paint first then spray black. However being the cheapass I am and aside fromthat I couldnt find styrofoam paint in the bookstore I went ahead and just bought a big tub of plain acrylic paint.

Painting the tiles is simple the first thing I did was SLATHER i mean dont even bother wetting the brush just dip your brush in the tub of black paint and SLATHER it on the foam; making sure you evenly coat everything.

Heres everything coated in Black with the rest of the tools I need to paint
Once the black paint is dry you need to mix up a batch of grey paint and drybrush everything with a dark layer first keeping the grid clear as much as possible and other nooks and crannys to give the illusion of depth. Layer it up to the lightest shade of gray you want take your time, the first layers are often barely noticable from the black. Keep in mind however to reduce the amount of lighter shades to maintain that illusion of depth

1st Drybrush pass
Eventually youll end up with something like this 


Its probably functional to a degree by now and you can already use it at that stage but I decided to use my static grass from my miniatures to up the polish to 11

Simply brush some wattered down glue to portions you want and apply the flock to get some sort of mossy ruins effect

Big difference from your regular grey tiles, the moss makes the stone pop more in my opinion.
Once everything is done youll end up with something like this



Thats all for now stay tuned next time as I map out area three and if I can find a good tutorial maybe make some barrels and crates. つづく!

2 comments:

  1. Idol! Make a forest floor next post :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tapusin ko muna yung series na to I still have at least 8 sections of regular tiles tapos 1 large section of cavern/natrual tiles

      Delete